Sunshine and smiles
Phuket, my first introduction to Thailand and to Southeast Asia. It was a wonderful introduction, such beautiful and friendly people and very helpful. Smiles, great scenery and amazing food. Culture and history, perfect. A great week in Phuket and it is on the list to visit again! Hot weather, sunshine and beaches, a perfect combination. Tasty and cheap Thai food was a definite winner, one of my favourite cuisines and easy to find healthy and vegetarian options. Walking around the streets, chatting to the locals, exploring the markets, spending time on the beach and drinking Thai cocktails whilst enjoying the Phuket vibrant nightlife, is a perfect way to explore the beauty of Phuket.
Highlights and must-sees of Phuket
- Patong: Beach resort town. It is the center for Phuket’s shopping and nightlife. Beach by day and explore the many beer bars, go go bars and nightclubs during the night.
- Old Phuket town: Historical part of Phuket with shrines and temples.
- Bangla road: The heart of Phuket nightlife, music, cheap beer, street performances and more. An interesting and must do experience.
- Wat Chalong: A stunning Buddhist temple and considered to be one of the most important in Phuket.
- Simon Cabaret show: An entertaining and beautiful musical performance, performed by ladyboys.
- Thai boxing: Exciting to watch live.
- Phuket weekend market: A maze of stalls to get lost in.
Phuket is located in Southern Thailand, it is a rain-forested and mountainous Island. It is also the largest Island in Thailand! The climate is hot and humid year round. There is a monsoon season from May – October to be aware of. The official language is Thai and Baht is the currency. It is easy to get around Phuket. Most places are walkable, and a great way to explore the streets and markets. Tuk Tuks, and buses are readily available. Plenty of accommodation options. We stayed in a guest house in the Patong region. The local people are very friendly and willing to help. Can’t wait to go back!