Before reaching continental USA, we took the opportunity to have a seven day stopover in Hawaii. Breaking up the flight from Melbourne to California. And, what a wonderful seven days this was. Oahu ‘the gathering place’ is a beautiful Island, providing amazing sunsets, white sand beaches, culture, the hustle of city life, and the beauty of Island life. Beaches, forests, gardens, scenic views, a nature lovers paradise.
Highlights and must sees
- Diamond head state monument: A Volcanic tuff cone. This is a great hike, once you reach the top you can witness breathing taking panoramic views!
- Manoa falls: Hike through a lush green forest to view this beautiful waterfall.
- Iolani Palace: A beautiful historical landmark. The Palace was the royal residence of the rulers of the Kingdom of Hawaii.
- Waikiki: The main touristy area for the Island. Famous beaches with high rise hotels and resorts. Perfect for shopping, and a range of restaurants along the beach.
- Pearl harbour, USS Arizona: A national memorial.
- National memorial cemetery of the Pacific:
- Honolulu museum of art: The largest single collection of Asian and Pan-Pacific art in the US.
- Waimea bay: Beautiful beach and a popular surfing area.
- Kailua beach park: Breathtaking turquoise waters. With calm water, this beach is great for swimming.
- Polynesian cultural center: A Polynesian-themed theme park and museum.
- Hanauma bay natural preserve:
Oahu is a U.S Island located in the Pacific ocean. The third largest Island of the Hawaiian Island chain. The capital of Hawaii, Honolulu is located on the south shore, and is the main gateway to Hawaii. Temperatures are warm year round, with two main season, wet (November to March) and dry (April to October). We stayed in a hotel close to Waikiki beach and could easily entertain ourselves walking around and exploring this area. We also rented a car to get around Oahu to see more of the beautiful beaches and sights. The seven days on Oahu was a great introduction to Hawaii, with a mix of relaxation on the beach and exploring the sights and culture of the Island. I would love to see the other Islands and spend more time on exploring the stunning Hawaiian Island chain.